When you are working to maintain your hard-earned sobriety, boredom is one of your biggest enemies. After you get clean and realize how much time you truly spent chasing the next high and managing the drama associated with the self-destructive nature of addiction, you will want to find new activities to help you avoid boredom and prevent a relapse.
Fortunately, the beautiful town of Taos has no shortage of spring and summer events you can attend to keep you busy and motivate you to stay sober. Enjoy the warm weather and stunning mountain scenery of Taos with activities like these.
What to Look Forward to This Spring and Summer
Taos is picturesque all year ‘round, but especially in the spring, when the weather warms, the days get longer and the flowers begin to bloom. Here are some of the best spring and summer events in Taos.
- Taos Spring Arts: Celebrating Art, Culture and Music – Taos has a long and storied history as an art colony. Artists from Georgia O’Keeffe to Ansel Adams have traveled here to seek inspiration. This spring, Taos will explore its creativity with a season packed with art, music, film, museum exhibits and more.
- Taos Lilac Festival – The sweet-smelling, delicate blooms of the lilac tree are at their best in the final two weeks of May. At this festival, you can enjoy the work of talented local artisans while you drink in the sights and scents of lilac blossoms. It’s a feast for the senses!
- Movies on the Green – Warmer weather makes an excellent excuse to get outside more and get in some fresh air. Bring chairs or a blanket and gather up the whole family for free movies and entertainment every Wednesday evening in Kit Carson Park.
- Taos Plaza Live – Any fan of live music will appreciate this free, family-friendly community event, held on the historic Taos Plaza. Every Thursday night, bring a picnic dinner and relax while you listen to local musical artists.
- Biking and Running Races – If you love the great outdoors, Taos can be your playground. Get your heart rate pumping and boost your physical health with outdoor trail runs and biking events that will take you out into the awe-inspiring mountainous surroundings of Taos.
- Taos Pride – Members of the LGBT community and their straight and cisgender allies can enjoy a pride celebration that is unique to Taos. This annual festival takes place at Kit Carson Park and includes parades, parties and performances like none other.
- 10th Annual Dog Days of Summer – Looking for entertainment that supports an excellent cause? The 10th annual Dog Days of Summer fundraiser is a charity concert that benefits Stray Hearts Animal Shelter. To date, the event has raised more than $140,000 for the shelter, which saves the lives of stray cats and dogs through spaying, neutering, education and providing a safe home for those who need one.
Your Sobriety Starts Here
Getting sober is one of the most significant decisions you can make in your life. At Vista Taos, we want to help you achieve and maintain a sober lifestyle. Contact us today to learn more about the experience we offer and our unique, holistic and integrated approach to helping adults with substance misuse disorders.