Our Blog

New Mexico Drug Rehab: The Facts

With an estimated 29,000 New Mexico residents over the age of 12 dependent on illicit drugs, the state has made prevention and treatment of substance abuse issues a priority, including offering drug rehab. New Mexico currently is home to 145 substance abuse treatment facilities that see more than 11,000 new admissions each year.

What are people being treated for in drug rehab? New Mexico sees the greatest number of substance abuse admissions for treatment of alcoholism (around 37%) and alcoholism with a secondary drug (13%). After alcohol, people in drug rehab in New Mexico are treated for abuse of cocaine (7.6%), amphetamines (7.3%), marijuana (7.1%), heroin (6.4%), and other opiates (2.5%). A few people each year are treated for abuse of other drugs, such as sedatives, inhalants, hallucinogens, PCP, and tranquilizers.

Who is being treated in drug rehab? New Mexico substance abuse facilities treat a variety of people, of different ages and ethnicities. In 2008, nearly 66% of drug rehab clients were male and the remaining 34% female. Men were more likely to be treated for abuse of nearly all drugs, with the exception of smoked cocaine, opiates other than heroin, sedatives, and amphetamines. More than 80% of people admitted to treatment in 2008 were between the ages of 21 and 50, and admission rates were about equal for Hispanics and non-Hispanics.

Share this post

COVID-19 update: The health and safety of our clients at Vista Taos Renewal Center continues to be our highest priority. Due to the national rise in cases of COVID-19, all potential clients entering the Vista Taos program shall be tested for the virus and must receive their results prior to admission. Vista Taos continues to work closely with the New Mexico Department of Health, adhering to the highest standards of care for our clients, and will provide subsequent testing after admission as needed. For assistance in finding the most efficient testing sites, please contact our Director of Community Relations, Jeremy Lihte, at (575) 425-1913
close